School Guidance Department:
The trials and tribulations adolescents face can be quite challenging. Our goals, as school counselors and social workers are to provide your child with the tools to achieve optimal personal growth, acquire positive social skills and values, set appropriate career goals and realize their academic potential to become productive, contributing members of the community. It is essential to create an environment, where each student is able to find confidence in him or herself and believe in their ability to achieve. When school personnel work collaboratively with caretakers and the community, it provides the students with the support system they need to be successful.
The support staff address the following components through individual, and/or group counseling, classroom presentations and school wide gatherings:
- Academic support
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Education in understanding self and others
- Coping strategies
- Peer relationships and effective social skills
- Communication, problem solving, decision-making, goal setting and conflict resolution
- Bullying prevention
- Career awareness, exploration and planning
- Substance abuse education
- Multicultural/diversity awareness
In addition, services provided are based on the students needs. For example, groups may be formed on anger management or bereavement. If necessary, referrals are made to community agencies. We work collaboratively with school personnel to create a caring, supportive climate and atmosphere where young child may achieve academic success.
School Social Worker
Ms. Alicia Smith