at Whitney E. Houston Academy is
Your School Counseling Program Staff:
an integral component of the school's academic mission.
SCHOOL COUNSELORS/SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKERS ARE SPECIALISTS
- Zaquina Zackery, School Social Worker, 973-266-5880 ext. 57315
- Gregory Jenkins, Professional School Counselor (PSC), 973-266-5880 ext. 57314
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR/SOCIAL WORKER WORKS WITH TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS
- School counselors/School Social Workers are child advocates who work cooperatively with the educational staff, parents, and community.
- School counselors/School Social Workers are educational specialists who have master’s degrees in the behavioral sciences.
- School counselors/School Social Worker assist students with their social, emotional, and educational development.
- School counselors/School Social Workers are human resource specialists who assist students, parents, and educational staff through counseling, consultation, and coordination.
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR/SOCIAL WORKER WORKS WITH PARENTS
- To facilitate referrals and evaluations.
- To provide consultation concerning student’s needs
- To facilitate parent conferences.
- To develop an educational plan to meet the personal, social, educational, and career needs of students.
- To work collaboratively with school psychologists, school nurses, social workers, the career educational coordinator, and the student support teams.
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR/SOCIAL WORKER WORKS WITH STUDENTS
- To encourage and support student achievement.
- To assist in the interpretation of assessment data.
- To provide family support.
- To design an appropriate educational and career plan for the student.
GOALS OF SCHOOL COUNSELING
- To provide the needed support to develop positive self-concepts and the motivation necessary for learning.
- To develop all educational and career plan for each student which targets high school completion and the exploration of post-secondary opportunities.
- To provide individual and group planning and counseling.
Some Reasons To Contact The School Counselor/School Social Worker
- To assist students with educational, personal, career, and goal planning.
- To develop personalized programs based on each student’s strengths and needs.
- To help students understand themselves and others.
- To assist students in identifying and dealing with problems.
- To facilitate the identification of students with special needs.
- To provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- To coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
- To serve as a resource to students, parents, teachers and administrators.
How Does A Student Meet With A School Counselor/School Social Worker
- Academic concerns.
- Divorce, separation, and family changes.
- Drug and alcohol concerns.
- Educational and career planning.
- Experiencing loss, death, and grief.
- Peer relationship issues.
- Problem solving skills.
- School adjustment issues.
- Stress reduction and coping skills.
- Study skills.
- Appointment made by the counselor/social worker
- Appointment made by the student.
- Parent, Teacher, Administrator referral.