Dear Parents and Guardians:
I hope this letter finds you and your family healthy and well. Please accept my gratitude for your continued support and patience as we strive to support your children during Phases I and II of the District Re-opening of School Plan. We continue to monitor the specific guidelines from the state and the East Orange School District as we navigate to challenges of the pandemic. Most importantly, we continue to work diligently towards the safe in-person instruction for your children.
Beginning Monday, November 16, 2020, in-person instruction will begin a one-day a week schedule for your child. Students will follow a rotating A, B, C, D schedule based on their last names.
- Group A - Mondays
- Group B – Tuesdays
- Group C – Thursdays
- Group D – Fridays
On the remaining days of the week, your child will receive instruction remotely (from home). During this hybrid phase, all students will begin following the regular full day schedule whether they are reporting to in-person instruction or remote instruction. On Wednesdays and districtwide fully remote days, all students will continue to follow the remote learning schedule for asynchronous instruction. If you choose to have your child remain fully remote, please complete the “Application for Full-Time Remote Learning Request” form and return it by November 10, 2020.
- PreK, Kindergarten, and Grade 1 Drop Off will be directly into the cafeteria beginning at 7:45 a.m. Children accompanied by an adult will proceed using the parking lot walkway accessible from North Grove Street, past the playground and to the cafeteria door.
- Grades 2 – 6 Drop Off will be at the North Grove Street entrance strictly adhering to social distancing expectations. Students must arrive before 8:30 a.m.
- Pick Up for all children will be from North Grove Street beginning at 2:55 p.m. The school does not have before and/or after care so it is important that the start and end times are closely followed for dismissal.
The East Orange School District is a uniform district. All Oliver Academy students must wear dark blue pants, skirts, or jumpers with yellow shirts or blouses. Students are required to wear uniform during in person instruction. Students should wear sneakers on gym days.
Again, we will do all we can to ensure the safety of your children. The following are just a few of the precautions we are taking:
- Parents / Guardians will not be allowed in the building without an appointment.
- Staff and students will have their temperature checked upon entering the building. No one will be allowed in the building with a temperature above 100.4.
- Staff and students are required to wear masks and maintain all social distancing rules in the classroom, gym, playground, hallways, and cafeteria.
- Specials teachers will report to your child’s classroom limiting hallway movement with the exception of Physical Education.
- Frequent hand-washing by staff and students.
- Signs are posted throughout the building as a visual reminder to maintain a 6 feet distance.
- Students are encouraged to bring a personal water bottle to school.
We welcome your participation, input, and suggestions. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
Thank you for your cooperation and support.
Ms. Yvy Joseph, Principal